Polycarbonate is naturally transparent, with the ability to transmit light nearly that of glass. It has high strength, toughness, heat resistance, and excellent dimensional and colour stability. RH Nuttall Limited are able to offer polycarbonate sheet, washers, gaskets, seals, and polycarbonate strip in a clear colour. RH Nuttall Limited generally work with Lexan Polycarbonate in the production of their washers and gaskets. Flame retardants can be added to polycarbonate without significant loss of properties. With a high tensile strength of 55-75MPa, Polycarbonate lends itself to a myriad of applications. Furthermore, it has a good working temperature range of -135°C to +115°C.
We produce washers and gaskets from polycarbonate for applications including visors, machine guards and screens. However, caution must be taken when using polycarbonate with chemicals as its resistance is poor. Its application with water is fair, but only up at room temperature. When temperatures are increased to over 60°C, hydrolysis can occur, degrading the plastic.
Adhesive backing can be applied to one or both sides of any polycarbonate component we produce.
- Optical appearance – Polycarbonate is often used by customers of RH Nuttall Limited for screens on machines. Its transparent appearance coupled with its high impact strength lend itself to this. Applications such as electric meter housing covers are common.
- Poor chemical resistance – Polycarbonate has a poor resistance to most concentrated acids as well as halogens and ketones, but is suitable in water at room temperature.
- Good impact strength – Polycarbonate has a better impact strength than ABS, nylon, and PVC.
- Expensive – Due to its excellent physical properties, Polycarbonate is one of the more expensive ranges of plastic.
- High temperature prevail – Polycarbonate further enhances its reputation by having an operating temperature range of -135°C to +115°C.
Ask a member of our sales team for more information on our range of polycarbonate washers, gaskets, seals, or strips. Data sheets can be supplied free of charge upon request.
Please note that information supplied by RH Nuttall Limited is given to the best of their knowledge, and should be for guidance purposes only. Data supplied is dependent on a specific application and is ultimately the customer’s own decision. Information supplied will vary between different grades of Polycarbonate.